I woke up today at 10am. Rob was at the Doctors office and apparantly there was something wrong with his urine results.. C'mon! That never happens! Why now? Whatever. It was all in the clear an hour later. We check out of our hotel room, leave our bags at the bell desk, and take a stroll to get some brunch. We need our energy if we're gonna be hand-flying an airplane for the next few hours. We eat and head straight to the airport.
Blast off! We takeoff . We're en-route to Barbados. I figured it was probably a better decision than Trinidad & Tobago and the storms lingering around the islands.
We're in cruise and make the best of it. First, it was awesome seeing the number 1 airport in the world, as far as cool factor goes. Princess Juliana Airport in St. Marteen. Google it and you will see why this airport is so cool. I was hoping we could make a pit stop there, but as it were, we were already behind schedule... next time. Oh, there WILL be a next time!
Immediately after Princess Juliana we see an airport that falls within the top 3 of most dangerous airports. Man, was I tempted to land there. Unfortunately, the French authorities made a new law that required pilots to get special training just to land there. That's the only airport in the world that requires a license just to land at the airport! Ok, so basically, it's a super short runway and has a very steep hill on one end of it. St. Barts (or St. Barths) airport. Google it or youtube it. There's some cool stuff about it out there.
Ok, ok, ok.. right after we pass St. Barts, I decide to drop a message in a (Gatorade) bottle. I wrote that I wanted a friend from another part of the world, wrote down my email and threw, threw the paper in the tightly sealed bottle, and chucked it out the airplane. Ok, sure it might not be the most eco-friendly thing to do, but I was willing to sacrifice the enormous ocean with my little bottle. How cool would that be, if I got an email from someone?
A few French territories pass and a few hours later and we're in Barbados. I get there with absolutely no plans or paperwork. I told myself, enough with these "handlers," which charge an absurd amount just to fill out some forms for you... I failed. Eventually, customs told me to get an agent to do the paperwork for me and I was forced to talk to this one sly guy. He was pretty cool in the end and only charged me half of what his company normally charges. He pockets the money and I save a ton of it, so it's win-win!
We get to our hotel, drop off our bags and go in search for food. The front desk directs us to a sports bar and get this, it's ALL hockey! Hockey! In hot-ass Barbados! It had a bunch of Ottawa Senators stuff, so we inquired about the whole hockey theme. It turns out that the owner of the sports bar is also the owner of the Ottawa Senators! Crazy shit! Well, I stayed there as a consolation for having my Ducks beat the Senators in the 2007 Stanley Cup Finals... but that's another story.
Tomorrow comes French Guiana, a country in South America that only until recently, knew existed. It's going to be the longest flight of this journey and it's also going to have some of the worst weather. So let's just say I'm not all amped up about it... but fuck it. Here goes nothing!
Cheers!
I have never landed there, but I have been to the St Barths airport -- pretty wild! Keep up the updates. I am wondering how you did all the flight planning
ReplyDelete